Mar 23, 2009

Recent tastes

On a business trip, I sometimes get to taste wines that are well outside of my normal price range. I tasted two such wines last week. The most spectacular was the 1996 Heitz Cellars Martha's Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. I wasn't embarrassed to act giddy about how much I liked it. The professional associate who purchased a couple of bottles of this fine wine at the bar for us before dinner has a case of it in his cellar, which I have been told is amazing. (So I am sure he thought I was a dork for being giddy.) I want a wonderful cellar when I grow up. (Right now I just want a bigger wine frig.) I also had a ZD Cab, but don't know the year. The problem is that cocktails preceded these fine wines. I wish I could have experienced and appreciated them on their own.

Tasting the Heintz reaffirmed to me that I should do something I have been pondering for a while now. I want to get a few bottles and put them up for several years. I have never managed to keep anything more than two years or so. I have a 2004 Rutherford Hill Petit Verdot that I want to cellar (i.e., keep in my wine frig) for a few more years. But I think I am ready to invest in a few more bottles for later. Fortunately I shared a bottle of the Petit Verdot with a friend last year, so I have notes to compare the aged bottle when I decide to open it. I still don't know much about wine, but learning is much fun to me.

Now, that is is getting warm, it's white and rose' season again. I got a bottle of my favorite rose', the Miguel Torres Santa Digna Cabernet Sauvignon Rose' at Cork last week. It is the 2008. I loved the 2006 and really liked the 2007. Hopefully this will be good too. The price is still a whopping $10 for lots of juicy, but not sugary, fruit. Now if the Arboretum concerts would just hurry up and start!

Also good for light foods and warm weather is the Italian 2007 Barone Fini Valdadige Pinot Grigio at about $12 a bottle and the Milbrandt Vineyards 2007 Pinot Gris from Washington at about $13 a bottle. I believe they have the latter at Veritas.

No comments:

Post a Comment