Jul 13, 2008

Dinner Party

Below is the menu for the dinner party I hosted in June, with some notes. I planned the menu around the wines I wanted to serve. It turned out well, though far from perfect. All the food was good. All the wine was good. I think everyone had a good time. Though I dream of being the perfect, put-together hostess, I certainly am not there yet. Timing is the thing I have the most trouble with. When you are doing everything by yourself, it is hard to get everything ready at just the right moment. Often I have finished dishes too early, leaving them to sit too long. This time, I actually tried to relax, and ran up against my guests' arrival time. And this was the most prompt group of dinner guests I have ever had. I do appreciate promptness. Lateness is quite rude in general, but especially for a sit-down dinner like this. My guests were four wonderful ladies who hit it off well. One is a bit of a wine guru. I enjoyed the evening very much. But I won’t do another dinner party until it cools off quite a bit. It is just too hot to cook in the house right now!

Come in from the Heat!
Orange Iced Tea
Miguel Torres 2007 Santa Dinga Cabernet Rosé – Central Chile
This rose' has become my fave this summer. I discovered it at Cork in Dallas.
First
Domaine Chandon 1999 Vintage Brut – Sonoma County
Goat Cheese Croutons with Mushrooms in Madeira Cream
There was enough of this sparkling wine for each of us to have only a glass. So I promptly ordered myself another bottle. The recipe is from a Susan Spicer cookbook. I had this dish as a first course at her restaurant Bayona a few months ago. I wanted to lick the plate. I would like to try to make this somewhat less absurdly fattening, but who knows if it will be as good.

Second
Schug 2006 Pinot NoirCarneros
Domaine Chandon 2006 Pinot NoirCarneros

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Red Wine-Shallot Reduction
Summer Vegetable Risotto
Sautéed Broccolini
Multi-Grain Bread
Sarah, the Schug aficionado, brought two bottle of 2006 Schug pinot noir. She is in their wine club, so one of them was a limited production - only 50 cases made. It was my fave (of course). It was interesting to try three pinot noirs from the same year and same region. They had differences, but all were quite tasty. I made the reduction sauce with a pinot noir also. It was an adaptation of a Bobby Flay recipe with beef and cabernet sauvignon. The risotto was adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe. I did not use white wine in the risotto as suggested. There was enough wine. More chicken broth was the best choice in this instance. And no, I did not bake the bread. I am not much of a baker anyway, but I really don't do yeast breads.

Third
Rutherford Hill 2003 Vintage Zinfandel Port – Napa Valley
Organic Chocolate Truffles
New York Sharp Cheddar
St. Pete’s Select Blue Cheese
This port is what made me realize I like port. It is a ruby, not tawny. Julia turned us on to the truffles. We put down this bottle of port quite quickly. I just cannot make myself like blue cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment