Jul 21, 2008

Food, weight, sadness, etc

A woman at the gym had a little meltdown to me the other day. I don't know if it was a meltdown or if she dumps personal info on random people on a regular basis. But it took me aback and hit home. Our lockers were near each other and right by the scale. Ihave never gotten on that scale and won't until I think I have lost some weight. I can't bear what I think it would say right now. She laughed as she got off the scale. She laughed again as she stood there looking at the scale. I said something like "that's not the reaction I typically have". That gave her the opening to tell me where she is. And I could relate to just about every word.
It was a rueful laugh - one of those you have to laugh to keep from crying laughs. She was up to a weight that had been incomprehensible for her. She had been a strong, fit, trim athlete. She is now 48 or 49. She decided there in the locker room to go to Overeaters Anonymous. She had already looked up the number.
I have considered OA. And I don't recognize myself in the mirror anymore either. Will I be like her at her age? Am I like her now?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I appreciate the irony in that my blog is about eating and drinking, yet I am broken-hearted about my weight.

    ReplyDelete