Nov 5, 2008

Our Leaders and Our Future

Last night I had a strange, hard-to-describe feeling after Obama clinched victory. Was it the let down that sometimes comes after a monumental, long-awaited moment? Was it the fear that our country's multiple active crises will prevent the president-elect from effectuating any real change? Did I feel a little sad for John McCain? Was it just that I really wanted it to be Hillary?
I so desperately want to be optimistic, to believe that real change is possible. I want my party to resist the temptation to exert its will simply because it has the power to do so, even if some Republicans deserve it. I want my party to accept the challenge to be bigger and better for the American people - all American people. Holding control of the White House and of Congress is truly to hold power.
I really like the speeches excerpts below and hope that Obama and McCain can hold on to these principles individually and can influence those in their parties to do the same.

From Obama’s speech at the Democratic National Convention
But what I will not do is suggest that the Senator takes his positions for political purposes. Because one of the things that we have to change in our politics is the idea that people cannot disagree without challenging each other's character and patriotism.The times are too serious, the stakes are too high for this same partisan playbook. So let us agree that patriotism has no party. I love this country, and so do you, and so does John McCain.

From McCain’s concession speech
These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.
... I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.
Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.
It is natural. It's natural, tonight, to feel some disappointment. But tomorrow, we must move beyond it and work together to get our country moving again.

Tonight — tonight, more than any night, I hold in my heart nothing but love for this country and for all its citizens, whether they supported me or Senator Obama — whether they supported me or Senator Obama.
I wish Godspeed to the man who was my former opponent and will be my president.

From Obama’s victory speech
In this country, we rise or fall as one nation, as one people. Let's resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.

Those are values that we all share. And while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress. As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, we are not enemies but friends. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too.

That's the true genius of America: that America can change. Our union can be perfected. What we've already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment