Nov 9, 2008

Wine Tasting at Veritas

Yesterday I attend a tasting at Veritas of wines from Serendipity Wine Imports. Eight different wines were offered at this free tasting. That was plenty of wine for a Saturday afternoon.
JH and EH met me at Veritas. We had a fabulous cheese plate to go with the yummy wines. I hate to go on and on about how much I like Veritas and the folks who work there. Earlier posts attest. But I have to make some comments about the really neat stuff they are doing. There are cheeses, chocolates, jerky, pate' and honey from Texas producers. Brooks (one of the owners) seems genuinely passionate about offering these great finds from his home state. Then again, I think he is passionate about the business period. I feel like I take too much of his time when I am in there, but he has interesting stuff to say. He gave us some education on some of the cheeses - and a little sample of a cheese made with porter ale, which was great. Veritas is going to be so great this winter - there is a fireplace up front, and it is dark and cozy.
But back to the wines... I don't think I have ever been to a tasting at which there was no wine I didn't like, until this one. One interesting thing was that every one, even the ones I didn't love, had a great nose. Maybe my olfactory system was just ready for some grapes, but the smells were super yummy (that's a technical term). I didn't make notes while tasting (trying to look slightly less dorky than I really am) so I will make notes of my scattered recollections.
* 2006 Vina Robles Red4. I picked up a bottle of this one. At $16 it is a great one to take to your holiday party host and to have around the house. It is a good everyday red.
Somebody other than me wrote this: "This blend of Syrah, Petite Sirah, Touriga and Tannat received a Gold Medal and 90 Points at the Beverage Tasting Institute World Wine Championships 2008, where it was labeled 'Exceptional' and a 'Best Buy'."
* 2007 Renato Ratti Dolcetto d'Alba Colombe 2007. Touted as a great wine for pairing with pizza and pasta, I really wanted to be crazy about this wine. But it fell a bit flat. I never had a dolcetto until a few months ago at Times Ten Cellars. Theirs is made with Mendicino County grapes and it very, very enjoyable at only $14 for a bottle to take home. For sipping, I really like softer reds. With food I can enjoy a stronger red with a firmer structure. The dolcetto is soft. I definitely prefer the dolcetto at Times Ten to this one.
* 2003 Attila Gere Kopar Cuvee. Seriously - this is a Hungarian wine. Read this interesting article which mentions a prior vintage. It is indeed yummy, but over $50 is more than I will typically spend.
* 2006 Durigutti Mendoza Malbec. Wine Spectator says: "89 points."
A few years ago, I let my first experience with Malbec be my last for a long time. I just didn't like it. (In retrospect, I am starting to realize that my experiences at La Duni don't really measure up.) But I liked this wine. And I liked the Malbec Veritas is offering by the glass right now. I guess I have a new grape to explore. Retail is about $16 - a good value.
* NV Carpene Malvoti Prosecco di Conegliano. Wine Enthusiast says: "88 Points"
This prosecco is tasty and easy to drink. I picked up a bit of yeast in the nose. It is clean and fresh on the palate, but finish is a little sweet for me. Folks that don't drink a lot of bubbly would probably like this very much. I find the more that I drink bubbly, I want Brut. Retail is about $22. (Note: I know some of you that read this aren't big into wine. Be advised that NV means "non-vintage" - it isn't from a single year.)
* Domaine de Montvac Vacqueyras Variation. From Wine Spectator: "92 Points." Only 500 cases of this one were made. It was hearty and flavorful.
2005 Petroni Syrah. Only 150 cases of this wine were made. It was good and retails for about $49 a bottle.
* 2005 Spann Merlot. Only 193 cases of this wine were produced. This blend of 97% Merlot and 3% Cabernet Franc was very nice. (This is where I wish I had made some notes to come up with more than "very nice". We were talking drinking and eating cheese... sorry.)
If you go to Veritas, and you should, be sure to put your e-mail address in the notebook on the bar so you will get notice of tastings. There was a good discount on all bottles on the day of the tasting. Also check it out for happy hour - a plus is that, unlike Times Ten, Veritas offers some beers. As amazing as it seems, not everyone wants all wine all the time. Also, on Monday nights, they are offering half-price wines by the glass all night! That might be enough to miss Monday Night Football for, especially if the 'Boys keep stinking it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment