Aug 11, 2008

Bottle Shock - A Movie Review

Last night, AA and I went to see Bottle Shock. It was good.
As was inevitable, it has garnered comparisons to Sideways. The only real similarity is that they are movies set against the back drop of California wine country - not even the same wine growing regions or the same decade. Though there were dramatic moments in Sideways, there were also moments of shocking hilarity (e.g. the husband running down the block). I guess Sideways is one of my favorite movies. But I don't want to compare the two, because they really aren't similar. As an indie flick, it has been compared by some online reviews to the quality of Juno and Little Miss Sunshine. No way. I liked it, but it cannot compare to those movies.
There are some smiles in Bottle Shock, but I wouldn't call it a comedy. There is a lot of family drama, and Bill Pullman makes you feel his pain regarding his dream. Though I was spellbound by the complete cuteness of Freddy Rodriguez, Bill Pullman definitely does the best acting in the movie.
The best part about watching Bottle Shock is the sweeping vistas of Napa. If you have been to Napa, it is just about worth the price of admission to happily recall the place. If you haven't been and want to go, seeing this movie may cause you to go home and book the trip. And yes, it really is that beautiful and strangely magical. But - largely because of the events depicted in Bottle Shock - Napa is not the quiet, rural place it was in 1976.
I can't help but feeling the movie could have been so much better than it was. The story is a fantastic one. Do read all about it. This movie could have had us cheering in our seats like a Cold War era Olympic hockey game (but for wine nerds). But it was sweet and happy and pretty.
Unless you just want to enjoy the Napa scenery on the big screen, grab some good local cheeses, a baguette (in honor of the French) and a bottle of Chateau Montelena or Stag's Leap and snuggle in at home when it comes out on DVD.

2 comments:

  1. I love indie flicks...have you seen the SJP/Thomas Hayden Church/Juno-girl (Ellen Page?) indie flick that is out on video (Happy People?) The commercial I saw last night looks cute.

    I totally envy your Dallas Nightlife outings...they sound so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I want to see it. I think it is Smart People. It is available on my pay-per-view this month, which of course I don't know how to operate.

    ReplyDelete