Aug 23, 2008

Heart Disease is Gonna Cramp my Style

Heart Disease. I guess I knew it was in my mom's family but it sure has hit home this week. While recovering in the hospital following surgery last week, my mom had a heart attack. She is 59. I will spare you all the details, but I have learned that four of her closest relatives have had heart attacks (2 fatal) or heart disease related surgery BEFORE they were 59.
If you read my blog you notice I like to eat. And drink. Heck, eating and drinking constitutes being merry for me. You may also have noted that I am overweight. So this week I have been saying "I have got to start taking care of myself". Am I still kidding myself? I consumed copious amounts of queso today and plenty of fried tortilla chips. Of course, camped out in a hospital waiting room, you want comfort food, not carrots. Would you believe the food in the hospital cafeteria is grossly unhealthy? Shame on them. Even the patient meals are questionable. Before mom was in ICU, they were supposedly bringing her the American Heart Assn diet. Really? I didn't know that included chicken fried steak.
Maybe I can make heart healthy my new project. I do well when I get obsessed with things... at least for about six weeks 'til I fall off the wagon.

2 comments:

  1. Is your mom doing ok?

    As for heart disease cramping your style, isn't red wine supposed to be good for the heart? I've latched on to that theory and will be very reluctant to let it go.

    ReplyDelete