Nov 7, 2009

Dallas Arts District - First Impression

I took Mom to see A Midsummer Nights Dream at the Wyly Theater last night. We arrived in the area quite early because I was unsure of where to park. Mom needs handicapped parking, or at least very close parking, and the websites and the Dallas Theater Box office were no help whatsoever. Fortunately, we got there early enough to park on the street for free - woo hoo! Since I had read parking would be $15, that meant we had time and cash for some wine.
The first time I ate at One Arts Plaza, amidst the dust of construction, I knew that it would be a great scene on production nights. It was. We sat outside at Dali and each had a glass of wine (Chalone Chardonnay and J Cuvee). Folks were sitting outside all the restaurants and a band was playing outside near the entrance of the main building. The lighting was nice. The weather was perfect. They have a little shuttle - like a long golf cart - that runs folks among the venues for free. I'm not sure where all it goes, but one couple on the shuttle with us was going from One Arts Plaza to the Fairmont. That is a good addition in our city that does not lend itself to getting anywhere without a car. (But hopefully we that situation is improving.)
Then we got to the theater. Hm. Don't go if it is raining. The entrance is at the lowest level of the building, one floor below ground, down a slope of about 30 degrees or so. There are no descending stairs. The ramp is reportedly 167 feet wide at its widest point, yet the only hand rail in along the far west wall of the building. Can you imagine when we have the Dallas monsoon season such as we did much of last month? I will be shocked if the lobby does not flood and perhaps more shocked if no patrons are injured trying to get down the ramp. Speaking of injury, Mom's first comment was, "It's not very accessible". It's definitely barrier free, but if you have any limitations it's a tough place to get in and out of. If anyone loses control of a wheelchair at the top of that slope, they are probably going into the plate glass window of the lobby. Yikes.
Inside it's an intentionally stark place, but the performance certainly wasn't. MND was done with contemporary clothing and music. Along with the professional actors, some performers came from the Booker T. Washington Arts Magnet down the block. It was young and fun. Of course, Bottom can be tiresome no matter that setting. Most reviews I have heard thus far praised the portrayal of Bottom by Chamblee Ferguson. He wore us out, but I think that is an accurate portryal of Bottom. Seriously, Bottom is annoying! I personally fancied Helena - loved her performance! - and Oberon and Titiana - he was sexy and she was passionate. The cast interacted with the audience quite a bit. I even got to dance in the audience and onstage with Peter Quince! And Snug the joiner sat with Mom for a bit.
On a side note, we had dinner at Angelo's in Lakewood. I never would have picked it, but Mom really wanted to go there. I was pleasantly surprised - very cheerful service, good Caesar, good manicotti. I have always like their marinara. Mom loved exactly what she went there for Frutti di Mare. A few months back, Angleo's got a really poor score from the health department. Upon reinspection, it was tremendously improved. But I am leery of a place that lets things get bad in the first place. I hope they keep things up. It is a kitschy neighborhood spot.
All in all in was a good time.

2 comments:

  1. MSND is my fav Shakespearean play to teach. I loved Kevin Klein as Bottom in the movie. Glad you and your mom got to hang out and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen the movie, but I love Kevin Kline. I need to check that out.

    ReplyDelete