Nov 15, 2009

Gratitude Attitude (Flip It)

"Accentuate the positive."
"Turn that frown upside down."

The past couple of days I have been trying to turn my negative thoughts into something positive. More specifically, I am trying to find something to be thankful for every time I want to complain. For example, I was bummed by all the laundry I needed to do yesterday. I hate doing laundry. So I focused on how wonderful my huge, fluffy towels are and how fortunate I am to have soft, high-thread-count sheets. I am thankful I have a washer and dryer and don't have to go to a laundromat. On a grander scale, I am thankful that I have plenty to wear and that I have constant access to electricity and clean running water. The laundry went so quickly and was much less unpleasant than usual.
"I have so many errands to run." (FLIP IT) "I am thankful I have a car."
"This brief is so long." (FLIP IT) "I am thankful my parents really focused me on reading as a child."
You get the idea.
I think this effort stems from a couple of different sources. I was inspired by JK's post on facebook and have begun posting something I am thankful for each day. I also think this desire to be focused on the positive goes back to some of the things I said in my earlier post about Freddy. I really want to remain inspired and intentional.
Right now I am thankful to be laying on the loveseat by an open window, using my wireless Internet with my kitty Casey by my side. I have got it good and I don't want to forget it.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice! Love that idea.

    Sherlyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I'm not often inspirational. I guess being inspired is contagous.

    ReplyDelete