Sep 1, 2008

Labor Day

A day of rest. I have been back and forth to Little Rock three times in the past two and a half weeks. It's hard to believe Mom has been in the hospital that long. It already has become the norm. Yuck. I can't even imagine what it is like to be confined to a bed for that long - and I have about 1/8 the energy my mother has.

But back to the day of rest part. Rest from our labors. Some will understand this, some won't - cooking is rest to me. It is relaxing. I like coming up with an idea, going to the grocery store and picking out ingredients and creating a meal. I inevitably forget something or come up with a better idea after I have returned from the grocery. That is annoying. But overall I love the process. Today I cut a chicken in half and made a paste with olive oil and some chicken rub I recently purchased (see Grapevine Wine Trail entry below). I burnt the heck out of it. (Is "burned" or "burnt" proper?) So much potential squandered, but I salvaged dinner with careful carving. The inside was not overdone. Better luck next time. For once I tried not to stand over the grill. I tried to put the meat on the fire and walk away for the time frame suggested by Ina Garten. Never again! I really need a new grill. That would help. And I need to put a temperature gauge in my grill. You know, do things the way they are supposed to be done instead of winging it. I really am a person who gets it all together then forgets where she put it. If I ever get completely organized... look out world!

I grilled just about everything - potatoes for a side, nectarines for dessert. The potato dish has real potential. I have always wanted to enter a recipe into a contest. I think with some work, this one could be contest worthy. I can't tell you more about it now, because you might try to steal it. :) We had a bottle of Famega Vinho Verde. Maybe not the absolute ideal pairing, but it was fine. The grilled nectarine halves were yummy with low fat frozen vanilla yogurt. I just halved some firm nectarines, brushed the cut side with molasses, and grilled.
If you have never had Vinho Verde, try it while the weather is still hot. (In Texas, you should be good through October!) It's definitely a summertime wine. I don't like the Famega as well as the Gazela Vinho Verde - yum, yum. Both are super cheap (less than $8!). It is just barely effervescent and is really good with white fish or just to sip on a hot day. It is from Portugal. I have seen Gazela at World Market this year. You can find various brands at Central Market and Whole Foods. (It should be great with any seafood, but I can't eat shellfish, so cannot speak to that pairing.)
Anthony loved dinner, and we had a lovely evening. I do love to cook for people.

1 comment: