Dec 21, 2008

A New Year

I have learned not to say things will be better next year. I said it at the end of 2005 after my brother was in Hurricane Katrina and my husband lost his mind. Then in 2006 I got a divorce. Yet I was optimistic that 2007 had to be better. In 2007 my health problems started. I knew not to say it. But in 2008 my Mom has been so sick and has endured so much. So I will not say anything this year about what next year will be like lest I invoke plagues of locusts and famine upon us all.
May your 2009 be blessed by God, fantastic and drama free.
Enough Debbie Downer.

If you are going to ring in 2009 with bubbly, below are some suggestions. Check Veritas to see if they have any left after selling lots at a free tasting yesterday.
NV Schramsberg Mirabelle Rose. From California. 93 from Wine Spectator and around $25. This winery is one I really want to visit.
NV Piper Sonoma Blanc de Blanc. Even those who don't drink bubbly often will probably like this one. It is a bargain at about $17 a bottle.
2005 Domaine Carneros Brut. 92 from Wine Spectator and about $24 a bottle. From the Carneros region at the south end of Napa Valley. I taste a bit of a lemon, but isn't tart.
NV Veuve du Vernay Brut. Unbelievably $13. This French sparkler was not featured at the tasting yesterday, but I had previously picked it up at Veritas. It is really delicious. Maybe the French Bubbles really are different?
There are some other bubbles I really like, but they are a little more expensive, and I have written about them before.
Salud!

2 comments:

  1. Schramsberg is spectacular!!! I recently read about Mas de Monistrol MPX Brut Rose Cava in Wine Enthusiast -- they gave it 89 points and it is $11 a bottle. I haven't yet tried it myself, but I love a good Spanish sparkler and you can't beat the price!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Cava usually is such a bargain.

    ReplyDelete