Dec 18, 2008

The Silver Lining

I am really tired. That so-exhausted-I-am-kinda-weepy tired. Despite not feeling very well, I have had business dinners the past two nights. Thankfully they were with very nice people. The silver lining - I got to eat at two restaurants I have wanted to try on someone else's dime. And, boy, were they good.
Last night we ate at Hattie's in the Bishop Arts District in the OC. First, the area is pretty groovy. I want to go down there when everything is open and check it all out. Second, the space is chic and clean but not cold. I loved the hutch with the old trophies and such. Finally, the food is the center of attention as it should be. It is the kind of food at which my brother (the chef) excels - sophisticated Southern food is what I would call it. I think he calls it contemporary Southern cuisine. Whatever you call it, Hattie's does it well. The tender pork was on a bed of some of the best grits I have ever eaten - and I have eaten a lot of grits! And the greens were sauteed to perfection. Everything about the experience was very nice. (My only quibble was the host / front door guy was quite aloof - such a turn off.)
Tonight we ate at Dallas Fish Market. You should go there. The space was nice and the service was absolutely flawless. Heck, even the valets were nice. Bon Appetit has just named DFM the fifth best seafood restaurant in the country! VERY impressive. The shellfish allergy limited me from the first two courses that came to the table - an amuse bouche of lobster corn bisque and pan fried oysters that looked and smelled so good they made me want to risk the allergic reaction. There were two bubblies by the glass, one from France and from Argentina. We had the Argentinian Brut. It was very good. I wish I had written down the name because it is not on the wine list on their website. We had a difficult time deciding on our entrees. The choices looked fab. Ultimately, PD got the skate mentioned in Bon Appetit piece and I got the swordfish. They were nice pieces of fish, and every flavor and accompaniment accenting them were so complimentary and delicious. We were very pleased. And we saved a little room for dessert. The figs with the cinnamon mascarpone are amazing (I nabbed a bite from PD). I had a lovely coconut lemongrass sorbet.
Now, this tired gal has finished off the bottle of Mylanta by the bed and is going to sleep!
Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Hattie's is so charming! Such a great place during the holidays -- I never tried DFM, but your coconut lemongrass sorbet has me salivating -- sounds so fab!! The next time you're in San Fran, you have to try Aqua on California Street -- the seafood is to die for and there is an unbelievable dessert called "shake 'n cake" - sounds very diner-esque, but is actually a very artfully presented bitter sweet chocolate lava cake with the perfect mini-serving of tahitian vanilla milkshake (sometimes they swap the flavors of the milkshake -- I had a really interesting Earl Gray tea milkshake with the dessert once, however the Tahitian vanilla is defnitely the best compliment). It's not even 8am and now I'm hungry for dessert! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to take Joe to both. Those are his two fav food groups...fish and grits. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francie, Aqua is one of the places I considered for my 40th b'day, but opted for The Slanted Door in the Ferry Bldg. It was so yummy. I think you could throw a rock in SF and hit a great restaurant.

    ReplyDelete