Sep 13, 2008

YTAC Benefit - Milestone Culinary Arts Center

Thursday night CB and I went to a Young Texans Against Cancer benefit at the Milestone Culinary Arts Center on McKinney. MCAC is a really nice place to have an event for the right crowd. The benefit included tastings and cooking demonstrations from area chefs. Also featured were Osborne Solaz wines from Spain. CB really enjoyed the Solaz Blanco Viura. The only wine I tried was the Solaz Shiraz/Temparanillo. It was fairly soft and quite tasty. I have had a few opportunities lately to try Temparanillo blends and have liked them. I think I will explore this grape further as white wine season fades into red wine season. (At this moment, the edge of Hurricane Ike is making it stay in your house and sleep season here in Dallas.)
CB is not a cook. It just isn't her thing. So I drug her to only one cooking demonstration, that of Chef Julia Lopez of Alo'. Alo' is owned by the same couple who own La Duni. In addition to being the chef at Alo', Lopez oversees the group's new restaurant development. A La Duni will be opening in North Park Center in November, just in time for the holiday madness. Lopez made a Peruvian Tuna Ceviche with apples and tomatillos that was fabulous. I often don't get to eat ceviche because I am allergic to shellfish. But this ceviche was shellfish-free. CB is not a very adventurous eater but she tried it and liked it too. Lopez kindly provided the recipe. Alo' is definitely on the go-to list now.
Perhaps my favorite dish was by Chef Juan A. Rosado of The Crescent Club. He prepared plantain chorizo meatballs with toasted cumin cilantro aioli and citrus microgreens. Yum. The presentation was lovely. I did not get to go to the demo for this one, but hope to track down the recipe.
There also were offerings from Chefs at Cafe' Madrid, Loft 610 and The MCAC as well as pastries from La Duni.
I hope YTAC made a lot of money!

1 comment:

  1. I was there for the demo,
    Chef Juan was very entertaining

    ReplyDelete