Sep 30, 2008

Little Rock Dining

With my mom being in the hospital, I have been eating out in Little Rock more than Dallas lately. These comments are probably irrelevant to anyone who reads this blog, but I am writing them anyway.
Ferneau - Not impressed. And I wanted to be. We went here for Sunday brunch because I wanted a nice meal to soothe my frazzled spirit (yes, typical, I know). It was fine, but for $55 I want a better brunch - both food and service. The presentation was very nice on each dish though I don't know how that was accomplished. The kitchen was so dark! It is an open kitchen, which I like, but I don't know how they can see anything back there. It is on Kavanaugh in Hillcrest.
Leo's Greek Castle - Yum. The next Sunday we ate here. Granted we didn't have booze, which affected our tab $15 at Ferneau, but our meal at Leo's was just $13! And I enjoyed it more. Is there a tiny bit of dill in that hummus? Leo's is not at all stylish and has only about 10-12 tables, half of them outside. But the food is good and certainly was plenty for the price. Leo's is right down the street from Ferneau on Kavanaugh in Hillcrest.
Taziki's Greek Fare - This is a just-opened place on Cantrell across from Pavilion in the Park. It was edible, but far from special. Even the convenience of it being a stone's throw from Mom's apartment won't lead me to return. The chicken gyro didn't have gyro meat (which is good even though I don't want to know how it is made). It was just grilled chicken. The pita weren't soft enough. Do Ruffles potato chips go with a gyro? The hummus was okay. The people were very nice. I am spoiled by living near two fantastic Mediterranean places. It will probably do well in the area since it is decent and there are no quick casual dining places in the immediate vicinity. (There is nothing quick about Trio's!) Speaking of that vicinity, Little Rock folks will remember Splash in Pavilion in the Park. I really liked that place.
Salut! - Of course I saved the best for last. And I am not just saying this because it is my brother's restaurant, really. The beef short rib ravioli is so freaking good. It is an appetizer - a single large ravioli stuffed with the tender beef from a long-braised short rib. The pasta is al dente and is house made, of course. The jus makes it for me. I ask for bread to "sop it up". It is rich and savory. He really reduces the stock for intense flavor. (I did recently learn that he makes and uses lots of veal stock, which is upsetting. I am trying not to think about it.) I think Matthew's soups and sauces are his strong suits. The soup changes each day. I have enjoyed the parsnip and thyme soup and the tomato basil. Matthew actually didn't make the tomato basil, his assistant made it. It was great. I haven't eaten a lot of entrees, but must commend a new fall addition to the menu - Pig and Parsnips. The dish of pear and parsnip puree topped with a mound of slow-roasted pulled pork is fabulous. He has delicious looking chalk-board specials each day, but many of them involve shellfish, so I have not been able to enjoy them. A new dessert to try is the chocolate mousse cake with Oreo crust. Oh my. This isn't a light mousse. It is a dense, intense hunk o' chocolate. It screams for coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment