Oct 6, 2008

T'anta - Soon to be on the Dallas Food Scene

I just read some exciting Dallas foodie news. We are to get the first U.S. outpost of T'anta early next year. I have never been to T'anta, which is in Lima, Peru. But it sounds like a very nice addition to the Dallas food scene. The new Food & Wine magazine calls it a "restaurant / take-out store that resembles a South American-themed Dean & Deluca." Intriguing. I have linked some reviews.
T'anta is one of many establishments owned by Peruvian chef Gaston Acurio. He is a celebrity chef in South America who has more than a dozen restaurants in Peru alone. His story is interesting. His father was Peru's prime minister. He quit law school in Madrid in his third year and secretly went to cooking school. (Your author now drifts off wistfully, considering the road her life could have taken. Okay, I'm back. Kinda.)
I won't repeat the whole Food & Wine piece, but pick up the November issue. It has lots of good stuff in it, as November food magazines usually do. I guess November is to food magazines what September is to fashion magazines. (Like I read fashion mags. Is September correct, Elle, my fashionable friend?)

15 comments:

  1. You are correct, September is the big magazine month for fashionistas! I never knew November was the major magazine month for foodies, though. T'anta sounds fabulous. We should get a group together and make a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone knows where is going to be located? The idea sounds good, looking foward to taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. please I need to know Tanta's location.. I'm from Peru and have been to one of the original restaurants back home...It is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not been able to find a location, but I will keep snooping and will post on my blog when I find out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard this rumor back in July, I guess it was true.I cannot wait to try Peruvian food again I was in Lima last year and I went to tanta, the food was awesome, it is kind of like la madeleine, but with waiters, I can not wait to have some lomo saltado and alfajores ......... and I forgot Pisco sour......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have checked some sources, who have way better sources than I do, and no one seems to know anything. I will stay on the case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've eaten at Astrid & Gaston few time while staying in Lima, and it was very very good. Can't wait for his T'anta to open in Dallas, would love to have a pisco sour again... Anyone knows when and where it will open?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've heard it might be open by august but does anyone know the location????
    i'm from peru and i think we really need a good peruvian restaurant in dallas! gaston acurio is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope they open soon, they already open the first one out of Lima in Santa Cruz, Bolvia I hope Dallas to be the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I checked around, but I haven't heard anything. Sweet tease! Any update because I could really go for some peruvian...

    Dave


    Local Apartments

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have continued to try to find out - talked to Dallas Morning News and Advocate Mag folks. No one knows. I hope this project has not fallen victim of the economic downturn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am dying for the Tanta to open here in Dallas too. I am peruvian, and of course I have been at Astrid & Gaston in Lima, and I know how great a chef Gaston is. He opened a La Mar restaurant in San Francisco (which is a peruvian seafood restaurant), but I cannot wait for him to open Tanta in Dallas, which is more of peruvian home cooking style of food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At this point, I am guessing the economy just tanked this idea. Hopefully things will rebound and we will get Tanta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in Lima less than a month ago, and I went to Tanta in the menu they had all the locations and it said next opening in Dallas.... and they toll me the menu was recent, so I hope they still plan on opening the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just like Anonymous, we just back from Lima a couple days ago. The T`anta in Miraflores also said that there will be one in Dallas soon. Hopefully it'll become true. The Peruvian cusisine is phenonmenal!

    Tom. (Cajun married to a Limena)

    ReplyDelete